Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The last day


After a very restless Friday night, I went over to the hospital at about 6am to sit with Raffy. Fred arrived just after 8am after organising Tadhg and Clementine at Nanny and Poppy's house.

The procedure was scheduled for 9am but we were given a couple of extra hours to smother Raffy with kisses and whisper positive words in her ear.

I was a nervous wreck and just had to try and occupy myself till the call came. Fred went over to Ronald McDonald House to do some washing. Derek (our nurse) rang me and let me know the Raffy was off ecmo and still alive. Her blood pressure seemed steady but she was in an extremely critical condition. I immediately rang Fred and he raced over to the hospital. I was just shaking like a leaf by this stage. We went in and saw her and it was just a glorious sight to see her without the awful ecmo machine next to her. We each took one side of the bed and just sat holding her hand and stroking her forehead. We stayed like this for quite a while.

Eventually her blood pressure started to drop slowly. When it got to 29, I called the doctor over to let her know and they put screens around the bed. I knew this was Raffy's final farwell and let Fred know as well. When her blood pressure reached about 20, the nurses started unhooking all the lines and tubes as quick as they could. They wrapped her in the quilt I had made for her and placed her in my arms as soon she would be gone. Fred ran out the room in tears. Strangely, I was quite calm which surprised me. So there I sat with Raphaela in my arms slowly dying. I told her what a brave gorgeous girl she was and that she was going to meet my mum now who would take care of her. I told her how much we all loved her and would miss her. I told her of all the other angels she would meet and have fun playing with. And then I told her that one day we will meet again and that I can't wait for that day but for now, she has to go on ahead of me.

Derek came over and listened to her chest and confirmed that her heart had stopped beating. He then disconnected the ventilator. I sat for a while longer still talking and kissing Raphaela. Fred came back into the room and he sat down and had a cuddle and kiss too. We eventually left her so they could remove all the lines, tubes, tape and close her chest up.

When we went back over to the hospital, she looked like a perfect sleeping baby. We gave her her first ever bath. We dressed her in a cute little outfit. We did hand and foot prints. We took lots of photos. And then with heavy hearts, we had to leave our beautiful princess behind.

13 comments:

  1. Gaylene,
    thank you for bravely sharing Raffy's story.

    I am so sad for you and your family, but so proud of your endless love and strength for your little girl.

    I am sure she is playing with the angels. Much love, V

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to say goodbye. I am sitting here in tears. I am glad she has her Granny to take care of her in the angels playground.

    xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a beautiful person Gaylene and your strength of spirit shines through in what you've written

    Much love
    Leah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I love that bottom photo of Raphaela, she's beautiful xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What strength you have shown Gaylene. Your beautiful daughter will always be with you. Look for the signs around you, as they will be there. Thank you for sharing her courageous journey - she was an inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gaylene. You're so brave. Your daughter is beautiful and is in god's care now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How brave to share your story. So beautifully written and expressed. My husband and I read the story together and amrvelled at your strength and poise.
    Goodbye sweet angel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your journey Gaylene.
    You now have a beautiful angel watching over you.
    Lots of love, from my family to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What to say?...... I'm i tears reading this, and I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you to write.
    I wish I could take all your pain away Hez xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gaylene, thank you so much for letting us share your journey and letting us be a part of Raffy's life. She was one hell of a fighter and you are such an inspiration to me. I just want to hug you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the arms of angels. Rest peacefully beautiful girl.

    You may be gone from this earth but your fighting spirit, determination and strength lives on in your family and those touched by your story

    Gentle hugs to you Gaylene, Fred and T & C xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to let you know you and your family are still in our thoughts and prayers. Raffy is gorgeous and will always be in your heart. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    this is a beautiful story and i have been following from the shadows from the beginnning.Your baby will always be with you.

    Emma

    ( i was wondering you would mind me sending this story to someone?)

    ReplyDelete