Thursday, June 03, 2010

Slowly we go


Today has been a good day. Raffy's chest did not get closed but it is on the cards for tomorrow which is what I pretty much expected as she is still carrying a bit too much fluid. She is travelling along slowly but surely. Everything is going right for the moment (touch wood!!!)

When we first entered ICU after Raphaela's first operation, I wondered how the nurses and doctors can carry on and laugh and joke amongst themselves when they are surrounded by such sick children. Now that we have been there for 9 days, I can't imagine it any other way and join in with the laughter and jokes (I am feeling like part of the furniture these days).

I am also looking back on the time when we were first told there was a problem with her heart and I remember thinking 'Please let it just be a hole in the heart' as they are just so easy to fix these days. Now I see parents whose babies have a hole in their heart and for most of them, their whole world is crumbling because of this news when all I can think 'Gosh I wish it was that easy for us'. I feel really selfish when I do think this but when I think of what we have already been through and what we still have to go through, the green eyed monster rears its ugly head in my mind.

Raphaela is two weeks old and her medical history is already 2 inches thick which equals 1 inch for each week of her life. Pretty impressive for a newborn don't you think?? hehe
And for those of you who have never seen me before (as I am camera shy!!), that is me in the picture with massive bags under my eyes and all :P

2 comments:

  1. Gaylene, you both look fabulous and I bet you'll both be looking gorgeous soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raffy looks so peaceful in that photo Gaylene.

    ReplyDelete