Monday, June 21, 2010

The girl is grumpy


We have been having a good couple of days. Raphaela was extubated yesterday and put on CPAP. When I was told they would be using nasal prongs, I immediately thought of the thin type you see on tv shows and the like. I was obviously wrong as you can see from the pic. They are a monsterous pair and dwarf her face. Apparently these are the type they use on premmies in the NICU and they had to use them on Raffy because her delicate little nose is too small for the regular ones. As you can tell in the pic, she doesn't like them and is grumpy about it (although I personally think she is unhappy that they are making her wear such an ugly blue hat :p). The sad thing is that now the tube is out of her mouth, she can now cry but no sound comes out at all. Sounds like every mothers dream doesn't it?? LOL

One thing about ICU is that no matter how bad I think my situation is, all I have to do is just look around and I can see other families in bigger predicaments. We have four babies/children in our room at any given time and my heart went out to the parents of one of the baby girls last week. Their daughter was only 5 days old and they had to make the heart wrenching decision to turn off her machines and let her fly free. It made me realise how lucky I am to still have Raffy alive and doing well.

And a BIG thank you to Bron, Vanissa and Deb for the very welcomed care package that arrived today. It was such a lovely surprise and certainly brightened my day :)

Well I am off to get a massage :) (one of the perks of living at Ronald McDonald house as they provide lots of stress relieving things like this for free).

4 comments:

  1. I'm following your progress closely Gaylene - what a fighter your dear, little Raffy is & what a strong girl you are. I hope you have lots of support in the background tho', as you have to look after your own health - take full advantage of all the free stress relief you can. Cheers Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your massage xoxoxoxox
    I hope the chocolate is going down well xoxoxox Bron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you both and sending our Love. Glad to hear you are getting a massage. Well and truely deserved. If Raffy is anything like Jess.... its the blue hat. xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww look at that little grumpy face LOL still so beautiful !!!!!
    Thinking of you all xxx

    ReplyDelete