Sunday, May 30, 2010

Waiting for surgery

21/05/10 - 24/05/10:

The next few days pass relatively peacefully. We are waiting for confirmation of Raphaela's sugery. The whisper is that it is scheduled for Tuesday 25th but these things can always change so I wasn't pinning my hopes on anything. Fred had to return home to look after Tadhg and Clementine so I was at the hospital by myself from now on. We opted not to bring the kids to stay at Ronald McDonald house as we have been trying to keep their lives as normal as possible and this includes Tadhg going to school.

Raphaella is going great. Dr Christian Brizard came around on the ward rounds and asked why she wasn't feeding yet which was a surprise to me as the other doctor had said she can't have any food. In the end, Christian made the decision to start her on EBM and by the time she went off to surgery, she was actually on 9mls per hour. She was very good at sucking on the bottle but it was making her heart work too hard so they put an NG tube in for her feeds and she did alot of sucking of the dummy in the meantime. As we were waiting a few days for the surgery, I got so many cuddles and kisses in whilst I could. I really enjoyed this time as I knew it would all be changing very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment